Lighting Designer (Part-Time)
Location: Studio Bell, home of National Music Centre
Reporting to: Production Manager/Technical Director
The Lighting Designer will report to the Production Manager/Technical Director and be supervised by the Technical Leads. The Lighting Designer is responsible for the design, operation and execution of lighting needs in Studio Bell. They will also act as relief for when the Technical Leads are away from the office. This position is a casual/part time role that will pay $20-35 an hour depending on skill and competence in the position.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working on a team to provide lighting design and setup needs for an event and ensuring they are met with exceptional service and a friendly attitude.
- Setting up, striking and operating lighting for a roster of events at Studio Bell.
- Working with NMC staff, volunteers and third-party suppliers to successfully prepare, execute and conclude events at Studio Bell.
- Work some evenings and weekends depending on the event or activation requirements.
- Ensuring the security and safety of Studio Bell and the NMC Collection.
- Providing good stewardship of Studio Bell equipment with a focus on Studio Bell lighting.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of lighting experience in theater or live production
- Strong familiarity with dynamic lighting and cue based productions.
- Strong command of lighting production design and the corresponding needs of artists and commercial clients.
- Knowledge and ability to perform light fixture maintenance
- Familiarity with the ETC Ion lighting console, or equivalent lighting control platforms
- Provide exceptional customer service, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Be a strong team player with exemplary leadership skills and positive attitude.
- Have strong organizational and logistical skills with attention to detail and accuracy; able to multitask and manage time wisely.
- Be enthusiastic and self-motivated, able to work well independently and be quick to take initiative as well as follow instruction.
- Be willing and able to work to a flexible part time schedule.
- Have the ability to lift up to 30 kilos.
- Exhibit patience and thoroughness when teaching other NMC staff/volunteers.
- Familiarity and experience with the service, facilities, theater, events and/or museum or other not-for-profit industries is an asset.
- Additional assets include: Electrical, IT and electronic technician skills.
- Production Manager
- Technical Leads
- Programming Team
- Events Team
- Event Coordinators and Event Hosts
- Collections Team
- Digital Content Coordinator
- All NMC staff and volunteers
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact our successful applicants. Thanks to all those who apply.