Location: Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre, Calgary
Reporting to: Manager, Collections and Exhibit Development
The National Music Centre (NMC) collection is held in trust for the public; it consists of primarily cultural (human- made) objects and intellectual property related to music in Canada to be used for the exclusive purposes of preservation, restoration, use, presentation to the public, and research. The Exhibit Technician will be an integral member of the Collections and Exhibitions team.
Reporting to the Manager of Collections and Exhibit Development, this position is responsible for assisting with the construction, production, installation and maintenance of exhibitions. The Exhibit Technician will also assist with maintenance of exhibition interactives and audio-visual equipment. The Exhibit Technician possesses a general working knowledge of accepted museum/gallery standards in regard to exhibit maintenance and construction, use of tools and equipment.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with monitoring and maintaining permanent exhibitions
- Construction of exhibit furniture
- Utilize mechanical drawings, schematics, and product manuals towards repair and maintenance of exhibit components
- Maintain lighting for exhibits
- Keep up to date maintenance records
- Maintaining a safe and orderly work space
- Ensuring safety of artifacts during installation at NMC and all venues
- Facilitate the setup and tear-down of temporary/traveling exhibits and displays
- Maintain Woodshop tools and machinery
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary and/or practical training in Theatre Design or Theatre Production
- Experience in carpentry
- Trained equipment lift operator
- Must be comfortable working with a wide variety of power tools and workshop equipment: table saw, skill saw, pneumatic tools, router, etc.
- Be adaptable, flexible and function effectively in a team environment
- Be capable of taking initiative with a positive attitude
- Be able to set and achieve goals
- Be capable of interacting with the public
- Have effective writing and communication skills
- Be available evenings and weekends
Preferred Skill Set
The successful candidate should possess the following skills:
- Background or prior experience in project coordination
- Proficient in construction practices
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office
- Works well with others
- Ability to communicate well with staff and the public
- Ability to provide a self-starting approach to daily tasks
- Strong attention to detail and organized approach to day-to-day tasks
- Critical thinking skill set
- Problem solving and logistic skill set
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Manager, Collections and Exhibit Development
- Director of Collections and Exhibitions
- Collections and Exhibitions staff, partners, collaborators and volunteers
- Programming, Marketing, IT, and Fund Development teams
Qualified applicants should send resume in PDF form to Jesse Moffatt, Director of Collections and Exhibitions, at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday, September 15, 2019.
Please ensure that your full name is in the file name (ex: Smith_John_cover_letter_resume) and the subject line of your email is: Exhibit Technician (Part-time). No phone calls please.