Studio Bell, home of National Music Centre
300–851 4 Street SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1P2
About this position
The Technical Assistant will report to the Production Manager and be supervised by the Technical Leads. The Technical Assistant is responsible for the preparation and execution of A/V tech in Studio Bell. They will also act as relief for when the Technical Leads are away from the office.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Technical Leads in assessing the audio, video, and lighting needs for an event and ensuring they are met.
- Setting up, striking and operating audio, video, and lighting for a roster of events at Studio Bell.
- Working with NMC staff, volunteers and third-party suppliers to successfully prepare, execute and conclude events at Studio Bell.
- Performing regular maintenance of audio, video, and lighting equipment.
- Adhering to NMC policies and attend training and evaluation meetings.
- Ensuring the security and safety of Studio Bell and the NMC Collection.
- Providing good stewardship of Studio Bell equipment with a focus on Studio Bell audio, video, lighting, IT and Collections resources.
- Ensuring the comfort and safety of visitors, staff and volunteers of NMC.
- Advocating on behalf of NMC, communicating our mission and vision and being up-to-date on key messages and dress code requirements.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should possess:
- Mastery of live audio, video and lighting production and the corresponding needs of musicians, artists and commercial clients.
- Work well independently with minimal supervision.
- Provide exceptional customer service, inter-personal and problem-solving skills.
- Be a strong team player with exemplary leadership skills and positive attitude.
- Have strong organizational and logistical skills with attention to detail and accuracy; able to multitask and manage time wisely.
- Be a personable worker with the ability to work with an ever-changing roster of staff, volunteers, clients, guests and contractors.
- Be a motivated self-learner who keeps up to date with emerging technologies, equipment and procedures.
- Be enthusiastic and self-motivated, able to work well independently and be quick to take initiative as well as follow instruction.
- Have strong communication skills and be able to think quickly on their feet.
- Understand that being receptive to our clients, both internal and external, and their needs is paramount.
- Be passionate about music, and enjoy engaging people.
- Be willing and able to work to a flexible part time schedule.
- Have the ability to lift up to 30 kilos.
- Exhibit patience and thoroughness when teaching other NMC staff and volunteers.
- Be quick to learn, adapt and implement new technologies.
- Be familiar with specialty event equipment and resources.
- Familiarity and experience with the service, facilities, theatre, events and/or museum or other not-for-profit industries is an asset.
- Additional assets include: Electrical, IT and electronic technician skills, experience as a musician, stage management experience, and familiarity with recording studio environments and equipment.
- Production Manager
- Technical Leads
- Programming Team
- Events Team
- Event Coordinators and Event Hosts
- Collections Team
- Digital Content Coordinator
- All NMC staff and volunteers
Qualified applicants should send their resume to Juan Hurtado, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.